Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Healthy Eating: Black Beans & Rice


Here's another meal that makes its way into our once-per-week vegetarian dinner: Classic Black Beans and Brown Rice. We like to serve it with lots of cheese and something green. This is one of my son's favorite dinners. He never fails to compliment me on it and asks for seconds, too, an amazing thing for a 10-year-old meat-loving boy!!

I double the recipe and use the extra beans for chili con carne later in the week.

Classic Black Beans & Rice
(from Better Homes & Gardens "New" Cookbook, c. 1989 - lol)
1-1/8 c. black beans (1/2 pound)
1/2 c. shopped onion (I use onion powder usually.)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 1/2 t. garlic powder.)
1 bay leaf
3/4 t. salt, or to taste
1/2 t. fennel seed, crushed (I use my coffee bean grinder.)
1/4 to 1/2 t. ground red pepper
2 c. hot, cooked rice (We prefer brown rice.)

Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 3 c. water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans in a colander and rinse. Return beans to the saucepan. Stir in onion and spices and 3 cups of fresh water. Bring to boiling;reduce heat. Cober and simmer about 2 hours, or until beans are tender, adding more water if necessary. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love visitors. Please leave me a comment! Let's keep it upbeat, as that is the intended tone of this blog. Blessings.