Saturday, May 23, 2009

Thrifty Tip: Buying Meat in Bulk

It's difficult to get coupons for fresh meat and poultry.  So, when meat goes on sale, I like to buy larger quantities to take advantage of the cheaper $/lb. price!  For example, smaller packages of ground beef were $2.49/lb., but if I bought 5 lbs, I could get it for $1.99/ lb.  How do you deal with bigger quantities of meat that you can't use it right away?

Freeze it of course.  I pulled out some of my free Glad Wrap from Publix, my kitchen scale, and my ground beef.  I freeze it in little patties of 4 to 5 oz. each.  They freeze and thaw so easily.  One patty is perfect for adding to spaghetti sauce.  For hamburgers, I pull out as many patties as I need burgers, and for meatloaf I thaw out 5 or 6!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love visitors. Please leave me a comment! Let's keep it upbeat, as that is the intended tone of this blog. Blessings.