Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yummy Cinnamon or Blueberry Muffins

I like to make most of my own baked goods so that I can use the healthiest ingredients and be more economical.  I would like to share one of my family's favorites.  I had planned to make cinnamon muffins, but I found some frozen blueberries in my freezer, so Viola:  blueberry muffins!



Cinnamon (or Bluberry) Muffins

2-1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever you have)
1 tsp. salt, optional
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. buttermilk*
2 eggs
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. honey
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
(add 1 c. blueberries for blueberry muffins)

Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl.  Add liquids and mix until just blended.  Makes 12 regular or 24 mini muffins.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes (or 20 minutes for blueberry.)

*You can substitute 1 c. milk plus 1 T. lemon juice for the buttermilk.  Warm in microwave until thickened.

Other notes:  I usually leave out the salt, as we find that the sodium in the baking powder and soda provide enough saltiness.  If you want to reduce the fat content in the mufins, you can decrease the oil to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup applesauce if desired. 

Blessings!
This recipe is adapted from one from The Breadbeckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love visitors. Please leave me a comment! Let's keep it upbeat, as that is the intended tone of this blog. Blessings.