Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Frugal Cooking: Homemade Tortillas

One way that our family likes to save money and eat healthier is by making a fair amount of our own baked goods.  I am learning to make homemade tortillas.  Now that I am getting the hang of it, it's becoming easy and fun!  I love the simplicity of the ingredients:  Flour, salt, oil, water!  Have you read the back of a package of tortillas from the grocery store?  Wow, the ingredient list is a half-mile long, and includes many things that I don't know what they are!

Here is my recipe, which came with my tortilla maker, but you could almost just as easily make these by rolling them out, and baking them on a griddle or skillet.

Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. salt  (I used 3/8 t.)
1/3 c. canola or vegetable oil
1 c. warm water

Combine dry ingredients and add oil.  Gradually add water until a soft dough ball forms.  Divide into individual balls, cover with plastic wrap sprayed in cooking spray.  Let dough rest 30 minutes or longer.  Dough should be fairly soft.  Add more water if needed.  I also kept the dough balls covered with plastic wrap so that they would not dry out while the tortillas were cooking.


Press or roll and cook about 30 to 45 seconds on each side.


Don't these look yummy?  I made 22 fajita-sized tortillas with this recipe, enough for my family of 5, plus leftovers for my husband's lunch the next day.


4 comments:

  1. Sometimes we can get so used to chemicals that when we cooked from scratch we don't like. I remember when I first began scratch cooking for my family. They didn't like the taste and texture.

    Now they don't like the taste and texture of store bought/processed breads and foods.

    I sure wish that I had more friends closer to where I lived that enjoyed cooking and baking. The tortillas look delicious.

    I don't own a press, so I roll mine out. A bit more work than using a press. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back to respond to your comment...It's great that you are going to the gym. Healthy food choices and exercise do go hand and hand as we age. I too know that one cannot work without the other.

    What sort of workouts to you do?

    I walk the track twice a week and do pilates. I need to begin strength training again to tone up.

    I am not as consistent as I'd like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Proverbs Wife,
    I'm training for a 1/2 marathon charity run (in Nov.), so I'm trying to do a lot of baseline cardio training for now.

    Margery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! We haven't used our tortilla maker for a good, long time b/c I didn't like the recipe that came with it. But I'm willing to give it another try.

    Have you made buns yet? I'm very intrigued by this idea lately.

    /tina

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love visitors. Please leave me a comment! Let's keep it upbeat, as that is the intended tone of this blog. Blessings.