Thursday, June 25, 2009

Healthy Eating: Veggie (!) Lasagna


In my quest for frugal, healthy eating, this lasagna has risen to the top of the ranks. You won't even know it has tofu in it, I promise. My kid's don't even know it's tofu; they think it's cheese! My veggie-resistant 4-year-old scarfs this up! This feeds our family of 5 for one big meal, and then we have leftovers for 2 or 3 servings (hubby's lunch!) I find that adding one meatless meal per week adds a nice variety to our meal rotation, and it's so good for you, too.

Veggie Lasagna

1 lb. lite firm tofu, drained
1 26-oz. jar spaghetti sauce
12 lasagna noodles*
1 T. Italian seasoning
5 oz. (or more) fresh spinach, chopped
8 - 12 oz. mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Crumble tofu into bowl, and mix in the Italian seasoning.

Layer 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of your baking dish. (Add some sauce first if using no-boil noodles.) Add 1/3 of the tofu crumbles. Add 1/3 of the spinach, and top with 1/3 of the cheese.

Repeat layers. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top if desired.

Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil, and broil briefly until top cheese is lightly browned.

* I use regular noodles and pre-cook them. I have great results with this method. You could try oven-ready noodles, too. This recipe also tastes great with whole wheat noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love visitors. Please leave me a comment! Let's keep it upbeat, as that is the intended tone of this blog. Blessings.